
The current Location of Lyndell’s bakery, since 1953, at 720 Broadway, Somerville. ~Photos by Keith Foster
By Keith Foster
Somerville’s longest-running bakery plans to move the bakery down the street. Lyndell’s is currently in its second location since 1953, according to the shop’s 4th owner since 2000, Bill Galatis.
The window at the front of the bakery displays holiday décor that will continue at the new location, which will be down the street, in the old convenience store. It will have essentially the same layout; however, everything will be brand new, with all-new technology and windows behind the counter where customers can peek at all the assembly, just like at a Krispy Kreme. But not all the tech will be new. The old ticket taker will be there.

A piece from a bygone error will continue at the new location.
The bakery was founded in 1882 by a Swedish immigrant, Birger C Lindahl.

A plaque out front that tells the history of the bakery.
The bakery has always been known for all things cake. They also specialize in donuts, Danishes, cupcakes, and Half Moons. An interesting fact about the Half Moons is that up until Galatis took over, there was only one type of Half Moon. After he took over, they offered them with chocolate cake and all vanilla and all chocolate.

The location will have the same layout, with windows in the back to peek into the assembly.
“We are moving sometime in November, and we want to be in our new location for the holiday season,” says Galatis. Once they move, they will happily look forward to countless years in their third location.

The new location at 285 Boston Ave., Medford, a former convenience store.















