SomerStreets is the City of Somerville’s take on the internationally renowned Open Streets concept, closing busy city streets to vehicles, and opening them up for cycling, walking, dancing, running, and other modes of activity.
Through SomerStreets, the city and its community partners aim to promote and encourage easy access to physical activity, fresh foods, and reconnecting with neighborhoods and businesses and their unique cultural elements in a thriving urban environment.
Activities along Highland Ave. will include:
• Pony rides at the Central Library (noon – 2 p.m.).
• Explore emergency apparatus including a fire truck and an ambulance.
• Pickle Ball, Imagination Blocks, and other recreation activities.
• Family bike ride from City Hall (1 p.m.).
• Knucklebones inventive play areas.
• Live entertainment on two stages.
• Craft Fair at the Armory, and more.
To ensure public safety at the event, the following road closures and parking bans will be in effect:
• Highland Avenue (Walnut Street to Cedar Street): Closed to all vehicular traffic 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; no parking 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• City Hall Concourse and Central Library parking lots: No parking 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• Madison Street and School Street (Madison Street to Medford Street) will become two way streets from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to allow access for abutters.
• Central Street will remain open, and will be converted to a two way between Highland Avenue and Summer Street from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
• MBTA buses will be rerouted from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. For locations of rerouted bus stops, vist MBTA.com.
Residents of Highland Avenue may call (857) 523-9017 in advance or on the day of the event and city volunteers will assist you in leaving/returning to your property safely during the event.
All SomerStreets events will run from noon to 4 p.m., rain or shine.