Cigarette blamed for fire that left 10 homeless

On January 27, 2014, in Latest News, by The Somerville Times

fire_1_27_14_1Somerville firefighters fought their second  multiple alarm blaze within a week this past Sunday. A fire was reported at 68  Wheatland St. shortly before 10 a.m. Jan. 26. Arriving firefighters found heavy fire conditions on the  third floor of a three-story home. A second alarm was sounded several  minutes later. The fire fully engulfed a third-floor side porch, spreading into  the ceiling of the third floor. Firefighters had to pull down several ceilings  to extinguish fire spreading under the roof. Fire damage was confined to the  third floor, but water damage resulted on the floors below.

– Photos by Bobbie Toner

– Photos by Bobbie Toner

The building  contained three apartments housing 10 occupants, all of who have been  displaced. Damage is estimated at approximately $100,000. Three firefighters  suffered minor injuries, two from slipping on ice resulted in a knee and a back  injury, and a third firefighter suffered an injury to his hip. All Somerville  fire companies responded to the fire, as well as assistance from Medford and  Cambridge. The cause of the fire has been determined to have been improper  disposal of a cigarette on the porch.

– Somerville Fire Department

 

Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.