Somerville Police are investigating an indecent assault and battery that occurred in theDavis Square area Monday evening. At about 8 p.m., a 32-year- old woman was walking from the Davis Square MBTA station to a nearby address. She exited the station through the rear of theHolland Street side. She proceeded to walk up Dover Street toward Cambridge while talking on her cell phone when she was approached from behind by an unknown suspect who indecently assaulted her. The victim turned around, saw the suspect and screamed while running into the street. The suspect immediately fled in the direction of Davis Square. The victim was not injured and required no medical treatment.
The victim described the suspect as a black male, about 6-00 feet tall, was wearing all black clothing and a black baseball cap. Somerville Police are advising anyone, but especially women who may be walking alone to take several commonsense safety precautions:
- Try to walk on well-lighted routes whenever possible.
- Avoid wearing headphones or ear- buds, and refrain from listening to loud music so that you are aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Keep your cell phone accessible and avoid distracting phone calls.
- If you think that someone is following you, try to get to a lighted area with other people.
- Trust your instincts and avoid whatever feels to you like it could be a potentially dangerous situation or environment.
Police have increased patrols of marked and unmarked cruisers in the Davis Square neighborhood. If you see anyone with a suspicious manner or appearance, or you feel that you may be in danger, please do not hesitate to call 911 immediately.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Somerville Police at 617 625-1212 or text 617SPD to Tip411.