Firefighter Melvin Dominique works inside a charred bedroom on the first floor of 167 Pearl Street. – Photo courtesy of Somerville Fire Department.

The Somerville Fire Department responded at 9:46 a.m. to a reported building fire at 167 Pearl Street.  This is an occupied three unit apartment building.  Upon arrival firefighters found a fire in the rear of the first floor apartment with a heavy smoke condition.   The tenant in the first floor apartment where the fire originated suffered from smoke inhalation and was transported  to the hospital by Cataldo Ambulance.  Her injuries do not appear serious at this time.

Firefighter Justin Bonner and Deputy Chief Patrick Sullivan III administer oxygen to a cat rescued from a burning home at 167 Pearl Street. The cat was rescued by firefighter Drew Patriquin and was given oxygen by a mask specially designed for pets and carried by Somerville firefighters. – Photo courtesy of Somerville Fire Department.

Four engines, two ladders, the Rescue and a deputy chief responded to the fire.  The fire was quickly contained to the rear of the structure mostly in the first floor with slight spread to the second floor.  Smoke damage occurred throughout all floors of the building.  Two first floor residents and five third floor residents have been displaced.  The second floor was vacant. The building cannot be occupied at this time.  Somerville firefighters also found and removed a cat from the third floor apartment.  The cat was treated for smoke inhalation on the scene by firefighters using a special oxygen mask designed for pets.  The animal control officer responded and placed the cat in a carrier and turned the cat over to the building owner. The fire is under investigation by the Somerville Fire Department, Fire Investigation Unit.  At this time in the initial investigation the fire does not appear suspicious.  The last fire units left the scene at    11:27 a.m.

– Deputy Fire Chief Charles Breen

Somerville firefighters work to control a house fire at 167 Pearl Street on September 25, 2012. The fire heavily damaged a first floor apartment and displaced at least seven occupants including one cat. One first floor tenant was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. – Photo courtesy of Somerville Fire Department.


Leave a Reply

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.