Former Somerville Priest arraigned

On September 10, 2012, in Latest News, by The News Staff

An Episcopal Priest, formerly of St. James Episcopal Church in Somerville, was arraigned today on assault to rape a child and indecent assault and battery on a child charges, Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone informed the public today.

Reverend Paul A. LaCharite, 65, of Boston, was arraigned in Somerville District Court on one count of assault to rape a child and three counts of indecent assault and battery on a child under the age of 14.  The Commonwealth requested that the defendant bail be set at $25,000 cash bail with conditions the he wear a GPS monitoring device, stay away from victim’s home and work, no unsupervised contact with children under 16, no work or volunteer work with children under 16, and that he cooperate with the church’s disciplinary process.  Somerville District Court Judge Maurice Flynn ordered the defendant’s bail set at $10,000 cash bail with the following conditions of release: defendant must stay away from victim’s home and work, have no unsupervised contact with children under the age of 16, surrender his passport, report to probation as deemed appropriate by the Probation Department, not possess any firearms or dangerous weapons, must refrain from excessive use of alcohol or narcotics without prescription, and abide by any and all restraining orders if applicable.

The defendant’s next court date is October 22 for a probable cause hearing.

According to authorities, the victim and his family were long time parishioners at St. James Episcopal Church in Somerville.  In the 1990s, beginning when the victim was in elementary school, the defendant, a priest at the church, began inappropriately touching the victim in his office.  The defendant’s conduct is alleged to have progressed over a ten year period to include several indecent assault and batteries and assaults with the intent rape a child, with the abuse finally ceasing when the victim was a teenager due to the defendant leaving St. James.

The victim came forward to authorities to reveal the defendant’s alleged long-time abuse of him last week.  An investigation was immediately conducted into the allegations and the defendant was arrested by Somerville Police on Friday evening.

The investigation remains ongoing.  Members of the public who believe that they may have information that could be helpful to the investigation can call Somerville Police at 617-625-1212 x 7220 or the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office Child Abuse Unit at 781-897-8400.  The Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts is cooperating fully with the investigation.

These charges are allegations, and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The prosecutor assigned to this case is Assistant District Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald, Deputy Chief of the Child Abuse Unit.  The Victim Witness Advocate is Susie Marshall.  The Child Interview Specialist is Katie Nugent.  This case is being investigated by the Somerville Police Department and members of the Middlesex District Attorney’s Office’s Child Abuse Unit.

13 Responses to “Former Somerville Priest arraigned”

1. Ray Spitzer says:

Disgusting. The only fair way to make him pay back to society here is something like mandatory participation in high-risk clinical trial of important medial treatments. Just jail does not cut it.

What happened to the good old days…Old Faithful @ the “Cherry Hill” prison in Charlestown (now site of Bunker Hill Comm. College). Yup “Old Faithful…“You can be sure if it’s Westinghouse”. 3 minutes of 2000 volts.
    verses todays “Life Sentences $$$$$$

3. Jay Forristall says:

Put him in population, instead of PC and it will send a message to others. That’s the problem. Fake tough guys and skinners walking around, protected by guards.

4. A Moore says:

Just put him in with the sex change guy and make the other prisoners honorary doctors.

The damage done by this kind of abuse is more devastating than anyone can imagine. Some may get over it, others will not and it will follow them and hurt them the rest of their life. I don’t know it first hand myself but I see the results each and every day with someone I live with for over 45 years. Physically maiming them might have been kinder.

5. Mark Ethier says:

Ray Spitzer:

LaCharite is far too distantly related to humans to be of any use in such experiments.

Primates, pigs, mice and rats are much closer relatives of humankind than LaCharite and that is why they are used. LaCharite is more closely related to life forms such as pond scum and tuberculosis germs.

6. Mark Ethier says:

Jay Forrestal:

You are clearly familiar with prison.

7. Mark Ethier says:

J Connelly:

You are making the whole thing up. In the “good old days ” child raping priests were almost never charged ; and it was WORSE, not better. And they were never subject to capital punishment.

‘Ethier’ Are you trippin out or just dont know how to read. Your statement has nothing to do with what I was talkin about. I was referring to old day method of punishment verses today and the costs.

9. Furthermore, when allegations arose, priests were transferred to parishes that assured they would never see their accuser again.

10. Dolsen says:

Glad to see the comments section populated by people who believe in the “presumed innocent until proven guilty” doctrine.

Those clerics who betray the trust of young and innocent followers of the Faith deserve Hell in a fast handbasket….

12. Jay Forristall says:

Mark Ethier, you sound clearly familiar with “child raping priests”

13. another says:

I hope the accuser will contact me. I can confirm for him that he was not alone. Please contact the Fr. Paul’s lawyer, or the Middlesex DA’s office, or the Bishop, for my info. I wish to apologize to you to say am sorry that I did not have the courage to come forward earlier in my life, when he attempted to assault me in the 1980s. I had all of the time, I feel that I could have prevented more abuse… I just found out about all of this today (Sept 16, 2013) and my only hope that by learning that there were others, it might ease what must have been, and might still be your, and your family’s, burden. Trust, me, there were others.