The Mayor’s Young Somerville Advisory Group (YSAG) invites all residents to their annual end of year presentation to Mayor Curtatone on Wednesday, October 26,  from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.  The event will be held at Precinct, located in Union Square, and will include a presentation by the YSAG Executive Board Members, Q&A with the Mayor, and networking.  It is free and open to the public.

YSAG is comprised of Somerville residents representing individuals in the 21-35 age range, which comprises approximately 42% of the City’s population.  In 2007, the Mayor convened YSAG to advise the City about and discuss issues relevant to this age group.  For more information, please contact Director of Community Relations, Carlene Campbell, at 617-625-6600 ext. 2615, or CCampbell@somervillema.gov, or visit www.somervillema.gov/youngsomerville.

13 Responses to “Young Somerville Advisory Group meeting and presentation October 26”

I don’t suppose the mayor has a Mature or Golden Somerville Advisory Group for the elders to belong to that he sits down & listens to ..Does this guy hate old people?

The 42% group he is paying attention to…how many of them do really vote? In my neighborhood the majority of people in the younger group do not appear on the voters list as they dont vote..takes away from their texting time, etc.

Oh well we members of the more mature generation will remember it come election time. He wont be movin on to a judgeship or other poltical position. He didnt buy enough copies of Deval’s book.

2. You're Suspect says:

This a** kissing of these people is sickening and annoying. Other old timers I know have noticed this also. At some point the pandering has to stop. Face it Joe, you can’t get these people to stay here and raise their kids here, it simply won’t happen. We are a rest stop for these interlopers.

Yes, there is an ‘Over 50′ advisory group as well. I don’t remember its name right now but I’ve seen the e-mails about it.

At least Mayor “Kevin From Heaven White of Boston had his “M.O.B.,” his Mayor’s Older Bostonians, but they were mostly useful to him in getting the senior vote at election time…

Kevin From Heaven was a far slicker manipulator than Mayor Joe–but give Joe credit, he’s LEARNING….

5. Courtney O'Keefe says:

j. connelly,

The Mayor has the Council on Aging, as well as, separate commissions/departments for Veterans, Retirement, Women, and persons with disabilities.

The Young Somerville Advisory Group is only 4 years old and was meant to reach a demographic that makes up for just less than half of Somerville.

As far as voting is concerned, I do agree with you. My age group needs to get off their ass on election day and exercise this right as “all politics is local.”

FYI, I am a “super voter” in Somerville, a native Somervillian and only 31 years old.

6. jaime says:

Isn’t The Precinct a bar? Why would this meeting be held in a bar? Poor choice by someone.

Why is it bad to hold this meeting in a bar? Some past meetings have been held in the Burren back room.

8. Ned Flanders says:

Do I hear the sound of butting in? It must be little Ronnie Newman, Somerville’s answer to the question no one asked.

Congratulations Courtney…I’m glad to see that you take a true interest and vote…at 31 however you are still in your youth… but I bet you do attain the goal of super voter in the future…

These agencies you mention are geared for other specific items thus differ from what this group is about. Though I would like eventually to get to the COA, to see what they have to offer.

10. jaime says:

Ron, of course you wouldn’t be able to see any of the many reasons this should not be held in a bar. It is simply inappropriate for a multitude of reasons.

OK, how about telling us some of those reasons?

The main problem I see with using Precinct for this is that it appears to be totally inaccessible, unless there’s an elevator around the back that I’ve missed seeing.

12. Boston Kate says:

Ron – As shown by the response to your question of why these meetings shouldn’t be held in a bar, some people are just too immature to keep it together for one night, without getting drunk and obnoxious.

13. Courtney O'Keefe says:

Thanks, j. connolly!

I should have pointed out that I have been voting since I was 18, so I have a lucky 13 under my belt come November. I’m excited about this election season, but wish there was more competition across the board.

YSAG is a good group and certainly reaches out to a demographic here in Somerville that needs to be more engaged.

Although I love the fact that the meetings do patronize local businesses, I would rather the “presentations” take place in City Hall or another neutral location that is both reflective of the serious work the group does and better accessible for the disabled community. They can keep the “hip” vibe by having networking events at local spots (obviously accessible spots, of course).

I have attended meetings in the past, with one that included the Mayor, and did not witness anyone getting intoxicated and acting out. Did this ever happen in the past?