Students in the Somerville High School Career and Technical Education (CTE) SkillsUSA chapter recently participated in the District III SkillsUSA competition, facing off against regional CTE schools in the district. Students were required to take a written exam in their field of study. Placement on this district test qualifies students for the state competition which includes a hands-on challenge in their field, and which can possibly also qualify students for thousands of dollars in scholarships. SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry partners working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. SkillsUSA helps students excel in their chosen fields by providing educational programs, events and competitions that support career and technical education in the nation’s classrooms. Congratulations to the following Somerville students who earned medals for their outstanding performances on their written exams.
Sponsorship opportunities to support the work of the Somerville SkillsUSA team are available; contact team advisor Mario Sousa (email@example.com or (617) 625-6600, x6273) for information. To learn more about SkillsUSA Massachusetts, visit https://www.maskillsusa.org/.
- Anthony Araujo Amaral – Gold (Graphic Design & Communication)
- Samuel Saron – Bronze (Drafting and Engineering)
- Charlotte Kafka-Gibbons – Gold (Commercial Baking)
- Brian Garcia – Silver (commercial Baking)
- Tabatha Bohmbach – Bronze (Cosmetology)
- Molly Roderick – Silver (Dental Assisting)
- Alexis Mcgeoghean – Silver (Early Education and Childhood)