An unattended chiminea in the rear yard of 17-19 Westminster Street appears to have resulted in a fire which spread to a neighboring yard and rear deck before being extinguished by Somerville firefighters early Sunday morning, November 17. Firefighters responding to a reported fire at 5:03 a.m. on Lovell Street arrived to find leaves, a tree, a fence and a rear deck burning in two yards. A wood burning chiminea (a clay outdoor fireplace) had apparently been left burning overnight in the rear yard on Westminster Street following a party.
A fire broke out at some point during the early morning hours spreading to dry leaves, a wooden fence, a tree and to the rear deck of 20 Lovell Street resulting in several thousand dollars damage. Firefighters were on scene for approximately one hour. Residents are reminded that the use of chimineas and firepits are prohibited in the City of Somerville.
Firefighters also responded to several other small fires in the past several days. On Thursday, November 14 at 1:04 a.m. firefighters responded to a small fire inside 57 Oak Street. A candle atop a bureau in a bedroom ignited a lampshade and scorched the bedroom door. The fire was extinguished by the occupant and firefighters checked for any further fire spread. Later the same day, at 8:56 a.m. firefighters responded to a fire at 204 Summer Street. Firefighters extinguished a fire in a compost bin which had scorched the exterior of the building and damaged exterior PVC vents for the heating system.
– Somerville Fire Department