~Photo courtesy of Somerville Fire Department.

– Photo courtesy of Somerville Fire Department.

Somerville firefighters responded to a smoky but small fire inside a vacant building located at 94 Prospect Street on November 13, 2013. Careless use of a cutting torch being used to cut a large steel beam ignited combustible debris inside a large construction dumpster located inside the sprawling warehouse.

The alarm was received at 2:51 p.m. when someone pulled the fire alarm box located at Prospect & Oak Street. Firefighters extinguished the fire and remained on scene for approximately thirty minutes ventilating smoke from inside the large warehouse.

Wednesday morning, a small fire broke out in a second floor apartment at 407 Washington Street. Occupants of the apartment were awoken by the fire alarm system and discovered a rubbish barrel burning in their kitchen.

~Photo courtesy of Somerville Fire Department.

– Photo courtesy of Somerville Fire Department.

They were able to extinguish the fire before firefighters arrived. Firefighters checked for fire spread and ventilated smoke from the apartment. The fire was the result of the plastic barrel being placed too close to a heater built into the gas stove.

– Somerville Fire Department

 

Leave a Reply

*