Mayor Curtatone announces he will not run for Governor in 2014

On October 16, 2013, in Latest News, by The Somerville Times

The following was posted on Joe Curtatone’s Facebook page today…

mayor_speech_web

“As everyone knows, I’ve been considering a potential run for Governor. Well, I’ve come to a decision and I will not be seeking the Governor’s office in 2014. As much as I feel I have the experience and vision to lead our state forward, this simply is not the right time for my family and me to be involved in an all-consuming statewide political campaign. During this process there were times when I was 95% certain I was getting into the Governor’s race, but once school started up it became clear to me that I am currently in the right place on a personal and family level.

Plus I get to do exciting and meaningful work here in Somerville. We’ve built a city that is lighting the way forward in terms of jobs, transportation, education, healthy living, the creative economy, environmental issues, social issues, community involvement and quality of life – not just on the state level, but on the regional and national level. Being Governor isn’t the only way to lead in this state. It’s certainly not the only way to get things done. I look forward to working with mayors and municipal leaders in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to make our voices heard and push for policies that can positively impact our communities.

We innovate more in local government and we get to see how government policies affect people at the ground level. We’re able to take action when state and national government are either unwilling or too paralyzed to do so. In Somerville we’re not talking about what might happen in theory if we did something progressive, we’ve got actual progress. I got into politics to make a positive difference in people’s lives and as a community we’ve been able to do that here in Somerville. I really do love my job.

It was humbling that so many encouraged me to join the Governor’s race and I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support.”

11 Responses to “Mayor Curtatone announces he will not run for Governor in 2014”

1. JazzMo says:

Smart move. Marsha Coakley would have kicked your butt. And besides, now you can continue to keep raising taxes in Somerville and pandering for votes.

2. Martha and Liz–I can’t think of a better team to lead our state.

3. MoChaMan69 says:

A smarter move would have been not posting until you know the candidate’s name . How does he simultaneously raise taxes and pander for votes except in your imagination ?

4. Billy Sullivan says:

As usual… those with the biggest mouths and the meanest comments don’t have the guts to use their real names. Why don’t you idiots just move out of the city and let those of us who love living here alone . You guys kill me ! You have nothing but criticism and no constructive advice. MOVE to Cambridge !

5. S 2 da ville says:

“but once school started up (and students I was supervising were being arrested…) it became clear to me that I am currently in the right place on a personal and family level.”

6. JazzMo says:

I called Martha Coakley “Marsha” because when she was running for US Senator against Scott Brown, Patrick “Patches” Kennedy called her “Marsha.”

As for pandering for votes Mayor Joe addressed a huge crowd of mostly illegal immigrants some years ago at Foss Park and told them “This is your City.” Really, even if you are here illegally. And despite what the liberals want you to believe, our immigration sysytem is not broken-it just requires a little effort on the part of those who want to come here and make it in this great country. My grandparents came from Italy and Ireland. THey followed all the rules and became citizens.

The liberals want the illegals to gain instant citizenship because they will vote for Democrats(and I am a Democrat(moderate at that).. I want America to be a beacon of hope, but for God’s sake, get in line and follow the rules.

As for the raising of taxes in the City, check out what the property tax rate was in West Somerville a few years ago and compare it to today’s rate. Check out streets like Billingham Street.

And I don’t feel my comments were mean. They were merely opinions which I and every other citizen have the right to express. Have a great day and thank God for our freedom and our great nation. And Somerville is a great community!!

7. JazzMo says:

Billy Sullivan wants me to leave him alone? I don’t even know you, Billy. What did I ever do to you? Have we ever met? Get a life dude. Don’t be afraid of the truth Billy-it may hurt but the truth always comes out at some point.

What do you think of the City paying for some of the event in Union Square on Sunday? I think taxpayer money should be spent for the good of the citizens, don’t you? Have a good one-you’re okay in my book; we just disagree. Let’s agree to disagree in a respectful and civilized manner. There’s no need to use words like “idiots.”

8. Pixie Pocohantas says:

That’s just the tip of the shadowy iceberg, S2. Just ask the former alderman.

9. Kiljoy says:

How did JR feel about you running for Governor, Mr. Mayor?

10. freedomforthepeople says:

The money is stolen from the tax payers that do not seem to care,and every year at budget time the city has no money.Thats when they blame all the union city workers for doing a subpar job and the ugly word privitize comes out.There was no money ever saved by privitizing ,and the companies that would be hired give no health care or vacation time or any other benefits to there workers.The other article is a joke because he just uses an out side company to do his dirty work,this is how the mayor feels f-the worker give me all the ILLEGALS you got I will use them like slaves through a third party and keep plausible deniability,by the way he is not a progressive he is a Republican.

11. freedomforthepeople says:

I would like to mention as well this is your leader of the city ,who cared less about the sex abuse with the soccer team.I see he could not sweep it under the rug quick enough,this is why no governor,also this city is still ripe for the pickings keep stealing you had a great teacher mr. commish.