Somerville Fight Night 2013

On August 27, 2013, in Latest News, by The News Staff

thesomervillenews's fight night 2013 album on Photobucket

– Photos by Bobbie Toner

Hundreds enjoyed a great night of entertainment at Somerville Fight Night, Friday night at Dilboy Stadium.

9 Responses to “Somerville Fight Night 2013”

1. Ray Spitzer says:

Nice Brain Trauma tournament. Way to go, folks.

2. julie says:

I’m not a boxing fan, but let’s be real. Soccer causes as much brain trauma, and they don’t use helmets.

3. Steve Keenan says:

Dear Julie<

I have nothing against the sport of boxing, but many boxers have suffered serious, tragic brain injuries from repeated blows and punches to the body, especially head hits.

A perfect example is former boxer(now deceased) Gerry Quarry. At the end of his life he could hardly speak. It was pitiful. You are probably too young to remember, but I believe it was in 1961 when Emile Griffith fought Benny "Kid" Paret. THe fight was live on a friday night on national tv.

I will never forget the beating that Paret took. He was knocked out by a flurry of head punches by Griffith. There was bad blood between Emile and Benny.

Benny never regained consiousness and died a few days later.

Boxing is more dangerous than soccer. All I am tryng to say is that in many sports, the risk of serious injury is there. Anybody who partakes in a sport such as boxing, football,soccer, hockey, or whatever, should be aware of the hazards and take the proper precautions to hopefully avoid serious injuries.

As for brain injuries, driving a car is at the top of the list in my book. Wear your seatbelts, drive sober and prudently, and keep in mind that someone else on the road might be a danger to you. Drive defensively.

God bless Ray, Julie, and all!

4. Ray Spitzer says:

julie, that is not what the evidence shows. Rugby, yes, football, not really, unless you hit the ball with the head. But compare it with boxing, where you get smashed in the head probably 100 times during a match.

5. julie says:

Have you ever watched a soccer game? They hit the ball with their head all the time. As young as first graders playing youth soccer are praised when they ‘head’ the ball. When you get to high school those balls are coming at your head pretty hard and fast when they collide. I believe they should wear helmets in soccer, but I think that won’t happen because it’s considered a ‘safe, non-violent’ sport.

6. Ray Spitzer says:

All the time? Each single player may hit the ball with their head once or twice in a game. But it’s something to keep an eye on. When they start reporting cases of dementia pugilistica in soccer players then we’ll talk again about it.

7. Steve Keenan says:

Julie,

Boxing is much more dangerous than soccer. Almost all high schools and colleges have soccer as sport, but I doubt that there many that allow boxing as a sport. The reason is obvious.

If I had to choose between getting hit in the head by a soccer kick from Pele or Renaldo, or a punch to the head from Joe Louis or Joe Frazier, I’d take the soccer ball hit any day. Take care.

8. mario says:

Apparently, neither of you have ever hit a soccer ball with your head.

9. Ray Spitzer says:

“Apparently, neither of you have ever hit a soccer ball with your head.”

Maradona neither… Hands are preferable.