The Somerville and Tufts University Police Departments report that over the last three weeks three late night robberies have occurred in the area between Davis Square and Tufts University, with the most recent robbery having occurred very early in the morning on Friday, July 19. Residents are encouraged to remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings, particularly when walking at night, and, if possible, should not walk alone after dark.
Three separate assaults and robberies were reported in the vicinities of Powderhouse Blvd. near Leonard St., Cottage Ave. and Walker St. The incidents are believed to be unrelated, and three suspects in one incident have been arrested. However, residents are asked to exercise vigilance by taking the precautions below:
– If possible, never walk alone, particularly after dark.
– Avoid distractions like earbuds or headphones.
– Walk in well-lit areas.
– Avoid short cuts that take you into dark areas.
– Keep your cell phone handy at all times, but not easily visible.
– Download a location app on your phone so that it may be traceable if stolen.
– Trust your instincts. If you think you are in danger, call 911 immediately.
Please remain alert and careful, and call Somerville Police with any information.