Juvenile behavior leads to four arrests

On March 21, 2006, in Uncategorized, by The News Staff

Juvenile behavior leads to four arrests
By George P. Hassett

A Somerville police officer was assaulted by four juveniles in Winter Hill Friday night.
Police said Officer Marcos Freitas approached four male juveniles about a noise disturbance they were causing in front of 457 Medford St. and, after identifying himself as a police officer, was allegedly struck from the side by one of the juveniles.
   Freitas then fell to the ground, striking his head on the concrete, and was repeatedly hit in the face by the other juveniles, aged 14 to 16, causing cuts and scrapes, said police.

The four assailants then fled east on Medford St. through the Winter Hill School area and onto Dartmouth St. By this time, several officers were in pursuit, and finally caught up to the youths in the backyard at 33 Dartmouth St.
  But the kid versus cop confrontations were not yet over.
  While attempting to handcuff a 14 year old juvenile, a brief struggle allegedly ensued and the officer and the juvenile fell to the ground, causing a scrape to the juvenile‚Äôs forehead and a tear to the officer‚Äôs pants.
   While being handcuffed, the juvenile who allegedly first struck Freitas from the side made a spontaneous statement, said police.
   ‚ÄúI punched the guy because he was gonna hit my friend,‚Äù the youth allegedly said.
All four suspects were transported to the station and eventually released to their parents.

73 Responses to “Juvenile behavior leads to four arrests”

1. Tommy Voila says:

Good job kids, its time someones teaches these crooked cops a lesson, i bet the whole story was the complete opposite and the officer attacked the kids first, and like the other article said about the paddocks owner knew he was hitting a police officer is BS, if some guy ran in my restaurant with regular clothes i would think they tryin to rob me or something i would choke them also, they lucky he didnt get shot, and the only reason why the police officer said the owner knew he was a cop is because he prob. has a grudge with the man or feels like hes above the law and can get away with ne thing and in this city its basically true.

2. Jimmy D. says:

Tommy,
    You pieceof crap. The only thing you would choke is your chicken you little pussy. You’re probably the asshole parent of one of these asshole kids. Yours genes are pre-disposed to produce retards you little punk. Officer Freitas is one of the best cops in Someville and his word is beyond question. If he said they attacked him that’s what happend. Only an asshole would say “Good job kids” for attacking a cop. So why don’t you do society a favor and die, you punk.

3. concerned citizen says:

Tommy(I don’t know who you are) but you are SO RIGHT!!He did hit one of them first.
    Jimmy D must be a cop or related to one. Why won’t you use your full name like Tommy did? Jimmy has it ALL wrong. These kids were walking down Medford St., Yes they were causing a disturbance by kicking and throwing a recycling bin and yes they were approached by an intoxicated Mr. Freitas (we’ll call him Mr. because he DID NOT identify himself as a poilce officer that night no matter what the great officer Freitas has to say)When he approached the kids they thought he was some drunk from a St Patricks Day party. He was yelling at one of them called one of the kids an idiot and slapped him in the head. Thats when one of the boys PUSHED him not PUNCHED him and he fell. The boys got scared and ran.Thats when freitas calls to his buddies and says he was assualted.You know there are may people that think Fretas suffers from “Napoleon Syndrome” (for all that don’t know what it is – it’s little man syndrome) so he talks and walks a good game.Unless you were there you do not know the truth and if you were then you know the article is a bunch of bullshit. It’s another cover up because some young kids headed home and one ends up with a beating for nothing but tossing and kicking a recycling bin and making alot of noise and a drinking off duty police officer comes up with another bullshit story. Was I there? Maybe I’ll try to reach one of the asshole parents.

4. Karen says:

Vinny- from your language on these comments, I don’t doubt that you’re one of Mr. Freitas’ best friends. If your aim was to make Freitas’s story believable you just did a great job(not.You must come from the same bottom of the barrel as he.

5. Karen says:

Oh sorry- you sounded like a “VINNY” Jimmy D

6. truth says:

Concerned & Tommy… First of all, neither of you were there so you can’t make those statements. Secondly, even if he did not identify himself as an officer (which I do believe he did) they still beat on someone. They still broke the law. I know the kids in question and they are no good punks. If not this then they will eventually be in prison for another reason. Wake up! This is similar to the situation with the Medford police. The “liberals” will all come out and fight for the kids (because they want martial law) and then the truth will come out and the kids and “liberal” adults will look like fools.

7. ONLY THE TRUTH says:

TRUTH
    OPEN WINDOWS AT NIGHT TELL THE TRUTH. WAS I THERE??? ONLY THE COURTS WILL KNOW.

8. chuck says:

Truth,
    Were you there? How do you know what kids they were? Unless you were one of the police officers. Let me fill you in on something in case you didn’t know.
    The Somerville Police do not have a great track record when it comes to roughing up people. e.g the school teacher who just settled a case and the holiday inn incident to name just 2 so if I were you I’d stop sticking up for the police and give these kids a chance.

9. Solh Zendeh says:

You know, instead of hiding inside and hoping they don’t kick your garbage can, or hit your car why can’t people actually get involved. I had to run out and intervene between a group of young “kids” (12-14 year olds) and my tenant. These are kids that are *screaming* anti-gay epithets and throwing rocks (they hit cars, houses etc).
    So I’m stuck telling a group of 4 “kids” to take off before the cops show up. They start giving me a hard time and it looks like they want to fight me, until the cops show up (I didn’t call them). They wise off to the cops and he finally picks one of them up by the neck just to get him to shut up.
    Wouldn’t you know it but not a *single* neighbor came out until after the cops show. Come on people – stop closing your shades and turning up the tv. Support your neighbors and *get out there* if there are some kids causing a problem. You don’t need to say or do anything, there just need to be enough people out there and they will find another place to be.-

10. ItTakes2totnagle says:

Lets consider this paper “The Wash”. Then, lets see if the truth eventually comes out. I know there are at least 2 sides to every story. And I have heard it takes 2 to tangle.

11. ItTakes2totnagle says:

actually, I like the post before mine better! That makes a lot of sense! Get involved!

12. Mrs. McCarthy says:

I’m going to get myself in deep crap for saying this. But what the hell.
    God I miss the old days when if a punk pulled shit in the neighborhod, you could kick them in the ass, drag them home to the parents and then watch while the father or mother kicked the shit out of them again.
    Not today my friends. Today, if you even look at some of them the wrong way, they spit, swear and threaten you. Then you call the cops and the kids spit, swear and threaten them too. And if the parents happen to be home or the cops can get them on the cell, the parents scream and curse at the cops as well.
    Kids learn from other kids and their parents. Do you really think that bringing the problem kid to the problem parent will acomplish anything?
    And please, I’ve been around this town longer than most of you so don’t give me that crap that you have to be tolerant and understanding of the “pressures” the kids are under today. I know it’s extremely hard for parents to make ends meet and keep a vigilant eye on the spawn, but trust me you parents reading this, if you don’t control them now, it’s going to cost you big time down the road.
    Just a Thought,
    Mrs. McCarthy

13. cindy says:

Mrs mccarthy,
    Pretnd you’re a kid on the way home from a school dance a man who clearly has been drinking approaches you for making alot of noise,calls you an idiot then slaps you in the head, what would you do? Now he chose to come across the street and approach these kids when all he had to do was yell across the street “i’m going to call the police!” I’m not making any excuses for these kids but some adults need to think before acting especially when you’ve had a couple of drinks, police officer or no police officer.

14. The Frozen Hotdog says:

What kind of parents let their children roam the streets so late at night. The parents probably need a slap too.

15. Cindy's an Idiot says:

Cindy,
    Why would a cop yell across the street that he was going to cal the cops when he is, in fact, a cop. Additionally, your assertion that he was drunk is nothing more than latent bigotry that everything associated with St. Patricks Dy and the Irish must involve drinking. Ergo, because it was St Patrick’s Day, the little Portagi must have been drunk. I hope Mrs. cCarthy kick your fat ass upside your third chin.
    You and that chump Tommy make a fine pair.

16. stero typing says:

why is it that everyone must associate drinking with St. Patricks Day and that the Irish are nothing but drunks?? Your right Cindy I also hope that Ms. McCarthy kicks there ass for implying it. Sterotyping everyone in a group isn’t a good thing.

17. Mrs. McCarthy says:

All right, all right. Just stop. Mrs. McCarthy is not about to kick anyones ass.(I doubt I could keep my balance on one leg anyway).
    Talk about comments that backfired……..
    My point to the parents that read the post was simple. If they have a potty, smart-ass mouth around you in the house, there is a great likelihood that behavior is shown outside too. Cop or no Cop………….
    Peace,
    Mrs. McCarthy

18. Buttafinga says:

People love fireman and hate the police.
    The police are totally unapreciated. Regardless of what took place on Saint Paddy’s day, the libral assasins of Somerville will always be against Police Officers. What happened to the days of smacking a kid in the back of the head, making him spit and bringing him home to his parents. Liberals Suck. Don’t worry it will come back to haunt em.

19. Spandex says:

As Signore Importante once said…”Kids with guns”.

20. CHUCK NORRIS says:

chuck norris was walking down the street and a blind cop stepped on his foot and chuck norris said “do u know who i am”? The blind cop said no. at the mere mention of his name the blind cop regained his sight. and the first and last thing he saw was a round house kick by chuck norris.
    chuck norris supports the kids!

21. James Norton says:

For those that saw a comment posted by “Somerville Native” and for the commeneter him/herself…
    While we encourage open, free discussion and discourse here and promote the ideas of free speech as we should in the pactice of good journalism, the type of language used by this person’s comment was offensive, disgusting and made no contribution to anything on here. I subsequently removed the comment and banned the person from posting again.
    Children and elderly people read this weblog, try to keep that in mind when you decide to tee off with no regard for good taste and think you’re going to hit your point more emphatically by wildly insulting and using foul language.
    Expletives are a part of our language, it is true – but rude and foul behavior isn’t and it won’t be tolerated on here.
    If you want to use other (more acceptable) language, mention people not by name but by initials and stay within the other rules and guidelines I have gone over numerous times here, then thats fabulous. If you want to act recklessly, then I will unpublish the comments and ban you – and continue to ban you if you can’t respect the rules on here.
    Thanks to everyone else for reading and commenting. If anyone has an issue or a question or feels they want to contact me – click the email link (my name below).
    JN

22. Get at me nice guy says:

Truth if you know these kids tell me what their names are? I go to school with these kids and they don’t do anything that gets them in trouble.
    Get at me nice guy

23. somerville youth worker says:

if you take half the negative energy in these posts and put it into one kid in your neighborhood, you might change that kids life. Being a mentor to a youth in Somerville will give that youth hope in his or her future…
    try it…one kid…

24. Kristiana=Friend. says:

Although it might be said that I’m more for the “assailants” since I am a friend & fellow student of three of these teenagers, I’m just here to say one thing. The majority of people will always take the word of a cop over a young teen and I feel you should truly consider both sides of a story. We will all see how this ends in some time following…..anyone has anything to say to me, they have my email.
    -Kristiana F.

25. No thanks says:

No thanks somerville youth worker. Writing nasty things about people on the blog is much more fun. I actually don’t care about the kids in Somerville because I live in Reading. I moved out of Somerville a long time ago when the Canadians started moving in.

26. Kristiana=Friend says:

No thanks,
    I’m not from Somerville either and I’m not enjoying people posting nasty things about people I know and are friends of mine.

27. Tell Us How says:

Tell us how to be a mentor.

28. Mentor me says:

The best way to be a mentor is to show kids that it is ok for a man to marry another man or a woman another woman. We should teach the children to be tolerant of all people no matter what race, creed, religion or sexual orientation. JUST KIDDING!!!!! We should teach the children that if they don’t get the hell out of Somerville in a hurry they’ll wind up brainwashed by the Liberal know-it-alls like LA LA Mortadella and all his beret wearing freakshow friends. Extra duck sauce please!!!!!!!!!

29. somerville youth worker says:

Easiest thing to do is get involved with the Somerville Youth Council…they’re always looking for adult leadership/mentors to help the youth on the Council.
    Somerville Youth Council
    The Somerville Youth Council is a group of youth leaders (aged 14 to 19) from across the City representing various youth leadership development programs. These youth leaders bring a wide diversity of perspectives and agendas to the task of catalyzing and influencing change through cooperative and results-driven advocacy, strategic analysis of youth issues in the City, respectful communication and community organizing. The Youth Council is sponsored by the Somerville Youth Workers Network in cooperation with The Somerville Community Corporation and the Center for Teen Empowerment.
    Contact Jesse Kanson-Benanav or Amy Schnitzer at (617) 625-6600 ext. 2254 for information, or the SCYP at Ext.2255.

30. CHUCK NORRIS says:

Chuck Norris’ tears cure cancer, to bad Chuck Norris doesn’t cry.

31. CHUCK NORRIS says:

Chuck Norris sleeps with a nightlight on, not because he’s afraid of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of him.

32. Andy Dufrense says:

You Know, when I first moved to Somerville I looked up at that First American Flag in Union Square and thought to myself “this land is my land”. I believed and envisioned that this mural represented the heart and mission of the Somerville as a community. I am finding that a lot of you complain about other groups here and about gentrification without realizing that gentrification is a common problem to all of the different people here. Gentrification threatens all of the residents and our homes and propertie. Not just your particular group. There are going to be a lot of businesses coming in for the sole purpose of making money off all of us. They won’t care about our land, parks, homes, and our resident parking unless they have some opportunity to make money by doing so.
    One of the main preconditions for this type of development is “a population of low-income [residents] with little political or economic power to fight for their territory.” Compared to many recently gentrified neighborhoods in big cities like Chicago, Somerville has a decent amount of power, culture, friends, and the potential for a lot more political self-determination by all the different groups. Our neighborhood’s best shot at maintaining a mixture of truly affordable and market rate housing, of keeping out forces who just want to make money at our expense is local political involvement by residents who identify themselves as real stakeholders in support of this goal. But a lot of you just complain. You make up crap about being pushed out. When what you are really doing is selling out! You are a bunch of sell outs. Area rents and property values will undoubtedly displace some of the current residents. But when you don‚Äôt work with all the new groups you are actually allowing our town to be sold out. When you move out and sell your house, you are giving a ton of money to the Banking industry that invented the 50 year mortgage and balloon payments just so you take the money and run and sell out.
    How many people today would pass up 2 million dollars to do the right thing for their neighbors? Maybe one that we know of. Well we need a lot more of these folks here.
    What we should be doing is fighting like hell to stay here. We should be fighting to keep the rest of your town, parks, community businesses, neighbors and newcomers working together to fight these banks, developers, big box retailers who will steal and copy some artists work by having people in china make reproduce it for 10 cents a hour. There are definitely different perspectives represented by local renters, homeowners, artists, Portuguese, Brazilian, damn liberals, yuppies, old Somervillians and local mom and pop business community. Each group will have a different view of gentrification –the opportunities and risks. What it means for Somerville as a whole and how this gentrification actually plays out in our neighborhood will have much to do with how these groups work–or don’t work–together as a community. If you’re concerned about gentrification, local organizations like the Somerville community corporation http://www.somervillecdc.org/ can help. But like the groups that put that flag up in Union square and the folks that threw all the tea in the harbor you guys should be fighting and working together to overcome the powers that have you all duped. If you do, you can ensure that this city isn‚Äôt sold out any further than it needs to be.

33. Jordan Ryan says:

For the people who are making statements on what happned and who was right should just stop talkng because you werent there.
    yea i am friends with the kids in this story and they definately arent going to hit a cop for no reason neither would most people its just stupid. this cop is *********, everyone who i have talked to about this guy doesnt like him and says ***********************. im guessing that this guy felt like an idiot because he hit one of my friends thinking they would just take it but it was perfectly fine to defend themselves especially since he was pushed not even punched (which he should have been).they ran after pusing him to just get away from this ignorant asshole and never jumped him or punched him.also most importantly he never identified himself as a cop.nobody would ever jump somebody after they went up to them and said somerville police “oh my god somerville police,I know lets jump him)no that doesnt happen.
    anyways jus lettin people kno the truth
    shout outs to chuck norris too chyeah

34. Chuck Norris sucks says:

CHUCK NORRIS sucks. Everyone knows that only chinese people are good at karate. Makahai!!!!!!

35. Anthony Coviello says:

The story is absolutly rediculous. The cop was not assulted. I know each one of the kids and 3 out of 4 of them have never even been in a real fight. this is all bull. on top of that, the somerville journal forgot to state the the cop was off duty, and in normal attire and did not say anything about being a cop. I thought we were all taught self defense as kids and now when you use it you get BS’d. but of course its cop vs. kids and look who has the badge, so guess who will probobly win. Lastly, the cop assulted the kids not the other way around. He hit one of them in the eye with the but end of the flashlight and then threw his face in a garden of rocks n stepped on his head. Has anyone seen the kids face, IT IS MESSED UP. n Im sory but he didnt get that from beaten the cops ass, he got that from the cop beatin his ass. He also has the rocks with his blood staind all over them. So c’mon people. we all know we have a record of dirty cops in Somerville, and this is just another god damn case of cops thinking that they are above the law and thinking that they can do whatever the hell they want. this is rediculous and somthing needs to be done.

36. PaperBoi617 says:

Its funny how the police would do anything to make themselves look like they’re enforcing the law. I was there, and tha report that Marcos Freitas made is 100% BS. We were actually going home messing around kicking recycle bins. No man has the right to run out of their house and run across tha street and hit sombody for nothing. Did he identify himself as a cop? No he didnt. Was he drinking? Yes he was beacuse you can smell the acholohol. So whoever said that he wasn’t drinking please shutup. so he ran across the street with his fist clenched ready to fight saying ” You think thats F***ing funny? you’re messing with city property” then he came up to us and called my boy an idiot then smacked him. Was that in the paper? No it wasn’t. Then thats when i pushed him. He fell after that and then he ran. I pushed him because he attacked us and my life was threatned, so i defended it.
    Nobody hit him after that so i dont know what he’s talking about with the scars and stuff. he said he had a witness, they’re obviously lying too because the story isnt true. we actually stopped running beacuse we thought we lost him. then we were heading home and we turned around and sw him behind us. We ran because we didnt want a crazy stranger that attacks people knowing where we lived Did the report say that he kicked one of us in the face in my yard? Did he tell you how he hit one of them numerous times with a flashlight? or how he punched another in his face? The cops even put words in my mouth. saying that i said ‚ÄúI punched the guy because he was gonna hit my friend,‚Äù Thats BS i didn’t say that, and please don’t put words in my mouth. what i really said is ” I PUSHEd him beacuse you hit my friend” i aslo sid that to him in his face.. Like a man. he made up a story like a little boy. if u were man enough to hit us and beat us, be man enough to own up to it. so they article should be changed to what really happened and instead of saying ” pack pf teens attack a cop” you should try putting the truth and say ” An Unidentifiyed cop Attacks a pack of teens”

37. Cops & Kids says:

Slapping youths around used to be part of the cops & kids promgram. Shame on the parents for allowing their children to be out on the street so late. I Blame the parents for this one. Maybe they deserved a fresh one!

38. James Norton says:

This is a tough one to comment about, not because I indirectly know the people involved through friends, etc, but also because nobody really knows what happened unless they were actually there. Creating a self-imposed media blitz by blogging here does little to bolster anyones claim of what really happened and quite honestly I find it distasteful that some of you people continue to be rude and use full names of policemen (whether you like them or not), private citizens and use foul language thinking you’re making your point, when in fact you are just dumbing it all down. And then your point is lost. Hey don’t get me wrong, I tee off on people too – and you have a right to say whatever you want on here, but I have the right to impose my rules to anyone on here, even friends of mine (and I have).
    In a short period of time I’m going to grow very tired of editing your comments and I’ll just shut them all down – do yourselves a favor and stay within the guidelines, be creative in what you say, and express yourselves, but don’t ruin it for everyone else and don’t piss me off.
    Chew on that.
    JN

39. Brenda Fraher says:

DO NOT STEREOTYPE OUR YOUTH.
    I am a school administrator. These four boys
    are youths to be proud of. All four do well in school, play many sports and are respectful. They have never been in any trouble. I challenge the citizens of Somerville to not sterotype teenagers.
    These boys were afraid of a strange man who approached them screaming. They were not “attacking a police officer”. Please Somerville news staff, GET TO THE TRUTH. We owe it to these students to listen to them.

40. Andy Dufrense says:

You guys would be in real big trouble if you were black. No one would of thought twice about believing you were lying about the whole thing. You know its not just the police force that is corrupted. It is the whole cumminty. Mostly just because good people don’t speak up for what is right. You should not be go around kicking recycle bins either. If what you are telling us is true one of two things will happen. The town will cover up the mess or you guys can stand up and file a civil suit to uncover the bullshit so that our town will be better for in the long run.
    Good Luck!

41. Anthony Coviello says:

I agree that you guys need to file a civil suite because i know the truth and i have known them all since i was in diapers. but on top of that, people are blaming it on their parents, all of there parents are good people and each one of them has a house in the area, they were simply walking home from a St. Patricks Day dance, typical of parents 2 let high school students do. Now lets not jump to conclusions and point any fingers because the ones that were really hurt in this show by simply looking at the damage on their bodies that they recieved and also by giving them a criminal record for a false felony when none of the four have any type of records. so please, understand the story from both sides, but ive known these kids so long that its not in their nature and I know for a fact that the story from the police officer is false.
    -Anthony Coviello

42. Twilight Zone says:

I’ve live here all my life and watched the cops come and go – some good, some bad, some hiding out waiting for their pensions and some even going out on disability. You’d think in today’s society and the ability for people to communicate as well as we do, that the opportunity to put good people on the job would be more prevalent – oh how wrong can we be – in recent years, there have been scandals here and there and it seems to me that just like almost everywhere, the cops are crazy.
    It’s like they’ve gone nuts with power. The cop in this story is a liar, and when the people who need to testify do so, I hope he gets hung out to dry and loses his pension and is disgraced, maybe he will get jail time (one can hope).
    There should a full-scale investigation by an outside law enforcement agency on not only this incident, but oh so many more most people never hear about. This city has proven time and time again it can’t investigate a goddamned thing on its own. How many more things have to happen before people start making some noise? Is it going to be a shooting next time?
    Don’t think that this one cop is the only power abusing, rude, punk asshole on the job either – you all see them, driving around on their cell phones while on duty, smoking big ass cigars with silly shades on leaning to the side and driving with one arm up on the steering wheel – like we did when we were teenagers – like punk ass kids. Discraceful, disgusting and revolting.
    Case in point – as I was walking into CVS in Magoun Square yesterday – theres a cop blocking people trying to back up and even other people trying to both get in and out of the parking lot – chatting up a storm with a friend in another car, equally blocking the same people. And this rude piece of crap blatantly gives people dirty looks like he is entitled to do whatever he wants – like he shouldn’t be bothered with them. Giving dirty looks to people just trying to get on with their lives – and none of them even beeped at him out of respect for the uniform. And other cops taking their donut breaks in the back – watching him do it.
    A classless bunch of morons with guns. These are the rude assholes we pay to guard our safety – how comforting.
    They blog on here, it’s obvious – you could see it last year and you see it in some of the blogs on this story too. They should have some respect for the badge they wear and conduct themselves professionally and with morals and ethics, not like this garbage lying cop whose reputation preceeds him in this story and the rude sshole in the parking lot at CVS yesterday.
    Don’t be cattle and go along with the herd. Call and complain to everyone about how awful it is here to even drive down the damned street for fear that the cops are going to act towards you if you get pulled over. God forbid someone someday gets shot for looking at one the wrong way.
    Good Luck!

43. Martin Eden says:

That is exactly why the chief should report directly to the mayor and why they are fighting so hard to keep it from happening. Once this happens, the police are accountable to OUR ellected officials. Make it Happen!

44. Solh Zendeh says:

I feel bad for the kids that this happened to. I feel sorta bad for the kid that was choked by the cop during my run in. But I was a “good kid” too, and so were my friends in high school – and one of my friends was slapped in the face by a cop and dragged from his car for no good reason (really!) – and I was harassed numerous times myself by cops.
    Welcome to the real world kids! When you kick someone’s trash can or throw rocks or whatever, sometimes you’ll get a nice guy like me that just tell you to move your ass on down the road. And sometimes you get an (allegedly) drunk cop that picks a fight with you.
    Again, I ask everyone to simply get involved in what is going on outside your front door. I think if a couple of neighbors simply came out on their porches that night things might have ended up differently.

45. Twilight Zone says:

Hey look at this. The State is now arguing that Somerville does not need to get a green line extention. They said the biggest reasons and arguments given for mass transit was to decrease traffic and pollution. The State is saying that we are obvioussly not interested in decreasing traffic and pollution becasue we want to put in big box retail. “it would be a huge waste of money to move forward with a green line if Somerville moves forward with assembley sqaure plans. For every cubic meter of air we clean those hypocratic bastards are going pollute 4 times that” What kind of message are we sending the state here?
    What causes this? check it out:
    articles/2006/03/27/asthma_hits_ne_hard_study_finds/

46. brickbottom says:

To Martin Eden:
    What the heck have you been smoking lately???? This is exactly why the Chief shouldn’t report directly to the Mayor or Alderman…….all they are good for is sweeping crime under the rug, ie;
    Trafficgate ,Kotygate, all of the mayor’s buddies making a killing getting sweet contracts from the city. The list goes on and on.
    Don’t get me wrong there are a lot of good cops on the job that really do care but with the ACTING Midget Chief in charge the morale down at the station is a mess. There is no leadership or as the Mayor likes to say “accountability” on the Police Force as no one respects the Midget or listens to him, except for his arse kissers.

47. Solh Zendeh says:

Twilight, I don’t see anything in that article that specifically addresses Somerville. Is there a link you can provide with specific information on the green line/assembly specifically? Thanks!

48. Martin Eden says:

To Brickbottom :
    This takes time. I did’nt say this Mayor. with the right resolve and ellected officials we can start the process…

49. Kristiana=Friend says:

I just like to say, I like seeing everyone comment and get involved with/into this.

50. Jimmy D. says:

Just look above to see all the quality thugs that are lining up to take the sides of three young numbskulls who attacked a person (regardless of the fact that they didn’t know he was a cop). They should all be taken down to Foss Park and pilloried for being scumbags and enemies of decent law abiding people.
    What an absolute disgrace it is that the majority of these trouser-trouts support the clowns who got arrested. The parents of these kids should be taken out and publicly humiliated for the types of kids they’re raising. There isn’t any more personal accountability.
    The parents of these ass-monkeys think oh no, it couldn’t be my little Johnnie or Eduardo who caused the crime, it must be the 4 foot cop and charged into the group of angels on their way to CCD.
    Get a grip on your kids and yourself. And for all of you dopes above, get a grip on reality. The little “darlings” reaped what they sowed.

51. John Smith says:

What concerns me the most here is how everyone sees the teenagers here as the victims. Everyone who is writing comments on here against the police officer must not live in Somerville. Teenagers run around the streets of Somerville and cause a significant amount of trouble. If you approach them about anything they will swear at you or just ignore you. Too many times in this city, teenagers walk around with their friends always causing disturbances, and we the residents have to put up with it.
    I want to personally thank the police officer for standing up to these kids and informing these teenagers that throwing and kicking around a recycle bin is not only illegal but wrong. Maybe if their parents taught them not to kick and throw around a recycle bin on a main street where lots of cars drive by we would not have this problem. If someone was doing that in front of my house I would have come out and said something. In this scenario if I did come out and got into a confrontation and got attacked by four teenagers, nothing would happen to them. All teenagers know this! All teenagers know how the juvenile laws work in this state. If it were someone other than a cop these kids would not have gotten in any trouble! So this time they messed with the wrong person. I applaud the police officer for taking the time to tell these kids they were doing something wrong! This officer could have very easily stayed inside and not bothered with a bunch of teenagers. He knew what these teens were doing was wrong, so he decides to take the time to go outside and say something, and then he gets attacked! I am in my late twenties, and have lived in Somerville my whole life. I have never had a problem with the any police from any city. Therefore all of you on this message boards who write incriminating messages about police officers must all be criminals yourselves !! These teenagers think that everyone has to put up with them. I wish this cop was my neighbor. Teenagers cause damage to cars and homes on my street all the time! If I come out and say something they are rude and even threaten me. (Like these teenagers did in this case). I will watch this case closely and if the teenagers prevail here it will make us even more afraid of teenagers.
    For all those who say the kids did nothing wrong I hope that four teenagers start throwing a big recycle bin in front of your house and hopefully it hits your car and causes damage to the front of your house (I even hope they break a window or two). “What comes around goes around” !
    A very concerned Somerville Resident !!!

52. Juggernaunt says:

You who believe that cops BS are ignorant and remedial people. Honestly it was a St.Patricks Day and practicly everyone was drunking. What do u expect the teens to think when they smell alchol in his breathe!
    I wouldve clubbed the guy!
    But anyway someone informed of all that s*** talking that was going on in this and I had to say something
    IM THE JUGGERNAUNT B****!

53. Jimmy D. Supports Freitas! says:

Hey LOX,
    John Smith and I are “faggots” not “faggits.” If you’re any indication of the intelligence level of the supporters of these kids then they are in big trouble because you are a retard.
    Here’s a thought for you, toughguy: If you want to smack me then leave your real name, address, and phone number and I’ll get in touch with you, bitch.
    You and Juggernaut (another name for a fat bastard) should learn the facts before you shoot off at the mouth. These punk kids were throwing the recycle bin over his car, he asked them to stop, then they attackd him. Yeah, I know. Quality kids. I take complete consolation in the fact that in the future when you two punks are getting your fat asses handed to you by another group of punks, Officer Freitas might be the one who saves you.
    In the meantime, just go about your busy schedule of doing nothing while your mother, the poor dear she is, tries to cajole you out of the basement to go look for another job. After all, you did get fired from the last fast food joint you worked in. And remember, if I wanted fries with that I would have asked for them.

A year ago, five Somerville High School students were suspended after being attacked by police in Medford Square. The News would do everyone a big service by following up on that case. Have the students been reinstated in school, either in Somerville or elsewhere? Have the Medford police been disciplined for their attack on the students?

55. James Norton says:

Pickled Pepper -
    You broke a JN/The Somerville News commandment. “Thou shalt not promote or post a link to a competitor of this fine newspaper on this weblog.”
    That is why it is unpublished.
    Please return to your seat and post comments again at your leisure.
    JN

56. Martin Edin says:

Hey maybe he likes the fringes…Whats wrong with that? Pehaps..
    I don’t wanna be a candidate
    For Vietnam or Watergate
    Cos all I want to do is
    Bicycle bicycle bicycle
    I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
    I want to ride my bicycle
    I want to ride my bike
    I want to ride my bicycle
    I want to ride it where I like
    James; Maybe at the state or federal level , but can you explain how being a conservative or republic makes sense at the municipal level? I mean go try to put a radiation antenna or Home Depot next to Dick Chaney’s house and see just how fast those left elitist, commy, Jewish bastards run you out of that neighborhood with their zoning laws!
    You see that is the real problem with this town. We don’t all work together they do at that level.

57. Jimmy D. on Newman's Sidekick says:

Martin,
    Don’t sink all of your trust fund money into writing lyrics when it could be better spent on typing lessons and Hooked on Phonics. I never suggested people should be of any particular political persuasion. I chastised Ron the Dickhead for misrepresenting the story about the attack on the Medford cops. Now here you go throwing another red herring into the mix. Stay on point, my friend. Jaimie will be more than happy to share his ADHD meds with you if you want.
    By the way, you liberals do suck.

58. Martin Edin says:

Those are not my lyrics… Its Queen, and if you ever heard the music you would know what was up. You are not the kind of person who would put your mother in a home or send a challenged kid away to an institution, you know, to keep them out of the fammily meetings?
    I agree though, the SHA bloggers have an agenda of annoyance and they don’t have any facts. It is just graffiti. Maybe they should have their own weblog or space. Or throw an article out about the sha every now then so they can vent. Then enforce a rule that this set of yahoos can only post there. Don’t even bother explaining it. Just delete their posts from other sections. In NY they did the same thing to the graffiti in the subway.

59. Jimmy D. says:

Martin,
    Yes.. I get it… I know the lyrics are from Queen… I’ve heard them… numerous times. The point that I was making was… and I’ve come to the realization that you’re so bright I have to spoon feed everything to you… that they had nothing to do with my post so you wasted your time writing them there… yet another red herring from the fringe.
    You wrote, “You are not the kind of person who would put your mother in a home or send a challenged kid away to an institution, you know, to keep them out of the fammily meetings?” You’re correct. That would make me a Kennedy. Refer to my earlier comments about liberals.
    It was so nice of you to use spellcheck on your last post and to, you know, proof read it before submitting it. I really feel that I’ve helped you to become a better person already.
    A note to you and all of the others here who don’t like what you read: If you don’t like your neighborhood or your neighbors then move. That’s another way of saying don’t read what people write here if you don’t like it. “Nuff said.
    Free Marcos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

60. Andy Dufrense says:

Yes this overcrowding of the blog just means it is time to expand, not shut down. It is a good thing for you really. Maybe you can create some permanent side links for the SHA stuff, and other areas too for that matter. Give a few trusted colleagues delete privledges to help keep things in order. As more and more people show up you are going to need a few more rules. But like any other place that is expanding we just need some “Smart Growth”.

61. Mrs. McCarthy says:

Jimmy D.,
    I’ve been intrigued by some of your posts. Although I considered myself totally bipolar when it comes to social issues(I said bipolar, not bisexual)your conservative bent on things should have a forum just like the “pod people”, and other assorted progressives have.
    Care to become a contributing writer for the Cambriville News in our next edition?
    Free reign?(within the confines of JN’s rules of course) I wonder what the hell ever happened to “Of Course”?
    No rush. We don’t have enough good material this week to go to press anyway. Something to think you about. Who knows, you could wind up being our very own William F. Buckley…………………
    Cheers,
    Mrs. McCarthy
    P.S. I never thought I would live long enough to say this but, Newmie, come on back. We miss you. To a degree.

62. Jimmy D. to Mrs. McCarthy says:

Dear Mrs. McCarthy,
    I am flattered! Really! As a devote Catholic woman I know you (of all people) are a social consefvative. That being said, I can only assume that not many other men have been invited into your, ahem, pantry shall we say. Naturally, I’m bowled over by your invitation.
    Let me know where to send my musings so they can be compiled with the rest of the Cambriville news and I’ll do so right away. Please use your intimate association with Jaimie to ensure my missives don’t get me banned and I’m in, baby! I’m in!

63. Mrs. McCarthy says:

Jimmy D.,
    It’s “devout” and “conservative”.
    And as for submitting your material prior to publication in the Cambriville News, that’s not how we do it. The writers will begin with their chemical induced rants, you play off those and go to town.
    And remember, either Jamie or I can chastise you(Jamie can edit at will) for your material. Abide by Jamie’s rules and you should be OK.
    One more thing………..
    RESPECT MY A-THOR-A-TAY!!!!!!!!!!
    Welcome Aboard The Cambriville Trainwreck
    Editor In Chief
    Mrs. McCarthy
    P.S. Did I mention that I’m running for Mayor in 2007? As they do in Somerville, now that you’re on board, campaign contributions are mandatory.

64. John S. supports Freitas !!! says:

Hey LOX,
    Nice post you left on here the other day. I find it very comforting to see that The Somerville News editor has removed your article from the website due to all the inappropriate language you were using. It is pretty obvious here that you are either one of the kids involved or you are one of their good friends. Judging by your writing skills, you must either be 15, or you have the mental capacity and writing skills of a 15 year old. You will look back on this when you are an adult and realize how stupid and self incriminating your comments are!
    Now I can not fully answer your ad because it was deleted from the website, and I did not have time to answer right away. I remember you asking me to identify myself on this website! If you read my prior post, you will understand that I am a victim of teenage kids like yourself. I own a home, a nice car, etc. You think I lack the intelligence to actually leave my real name here. One day when you are in your late twenties, and you actually own a home and a nice car you will see that you have a lot to loose as well. However judging by the way you write, and judging by your actions, when you are in your late twenties you will probably be working at a fast food joint and living at home with your parents. So for instance, if I leave my real name here, you would probably find out where I live and come by my house with your friends and cause property damage to my home and vehicle! Then when I catch you and your 3 friends, if you “teenagers” get beat up in the process you will go running to your parents saying this adult beat you up when you did nothing wrong. Then your parents will be so upset about the situation (because they think their little Johnny never does anything wrong) they will seek legal action against me and try to get some money out of me. Is this what you are looking for? Sorry, I am not a police officer so I can not afford to leave my real name on here. If I leave my real name on here, I am leaving myself vulnerable to yet another attack by a no good teenager like yourself!! The ironic concept is that at the moment I can not find out your real name. Due to all of the kids involved in this case being under 18 years old, the courts have withheld their names due to the indivuduals being minors. At the moment the law protects you, but you too will be over 18 years old one day. You have my e mail, why don’t you personally e mail me and maybe once you are a man and are responsible for your actions we can actually talk one day.
    I have news for you and all of your friends who keep crying and saying you are the victim’s here! As an outsider and as an independent party, all the teenagers in this case are in the wrong ! I still can not comprehend the mere nonsense that is being written here in relation to this article. A bunch of teenagers are throwing a big recycle bin on Medford street and you attack the person who comes out and tells you to stop ! Unbelievable !!! From reading another post on here, it seems as if you were throwing the recycle bin over his vehicle !! One day you too will own a car, and please when that day comes please be sure to e mail me. By then you should be over 18 and I will come by and throw a big recycle bin at or over your vehicle and see how you feel about it. See, you do not know how this feels because you do not own anything!! Please e mail me and let me know how to contact you when you own a vehicle. Remember as I said before what comes around goes around !!! I would love to throw a recycle bin at your car and see how you feel about the situation.
    Furthermore, what bothers me most in this case is that you were throwing a (rather large) recycle bin on a main street (Medford Street) late on a Friday night. Listen to yourselves!!! All of you sound like a bunch of troublemakers. Also think about this. What if the recycle bin that you were throwing at each other accidentally hit an oncoming vehicle on Medford street and caused the driver of that vehicle to swerve and maybe hit one of you guys. What would happen then? That is right, your parents would sue the driver because it was St. Patrick‚Äôs day and the driver ‚Äúmust‚Äù of been drinking and the drinking caused the accident. I want to ask all of you troublemakers and all of your parents – WHAT IF THE RECYCLE BIN YOU ‚ÄúKIDS‚Äù WERE THROWING CAUSED A VEHICLE TO VEER TO THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE STREET ??? What if this vehicle due to being hit by a big recycle bin caused the windshield to shatter, which would cause the driver of the vehicle to have limited vision (or not be able to see at all)! Let‚Äôs just say the driver who now has a shattered windshield hit another car head on (because he could not see) and caused a fatal accident. See this is the problem here. THIS CAN HAPPEN, AND IT IS REALITY !!! All of you teenagers lack the mental capacity to realize that something very bad could happen here! Your parents should have told you a long time ago that you can not throw large objects over parked cars and on to a public street! You can not throw a recycle bin at or over someone‚Äôs car especially on a main street !! Actually why don’t you tell me where you live !! I will go by your house with a few friends and throw a recycle bin over your parents car and I want to see what their reaction is !!! It is wrong and any resident (police officer or not) has the right to tell you kids to STOP without any repercussions.
    A very concerned Somerville resident !!!

65. John Smith says:

Hey Juggernaunt,
    After reading your post I know you are definitely not a high school student! You are probably in 6th or 7th grade ! Did you look at what you posted. Your statement does not make any sense. You wrote “those who believe that cops are ignorant and remedial people”!! First I think you meant those who believe “the” not that. Second do you know what the definition of remedial is? If you know what remedial means, than you definitely do not know how to use it in a sentence. Maybe you should have your parents or your 7th grade teacher check the spelling and grammar on your posts before you submit them. Actually if you use Microsoft word just use the spell check and it will also correct some of the incorrect grammar as well.
    I seriously hope that you are not one of the kids involved. The most interesting part here is if you are one of the teens involved in this case you just incriminated yourself. You wrote “what do u expect the teens to think when they smell alcohl in his breathe”. You went on to say “I would’ve clubbed the guy”. Since you are implying that everyone “drunks” on St. Patricks day, then maybe it was the teens who were out at a party, and got their hands on some alcohol illegally, and maybe they were the one’s drinking. Furthermore, your statement is very self incriminating.
    After reading you statement, I would assume when you are out causing trouble, which I assume you are very good at, and someone comes out and tells you to stop, what would you do. Judging by your statement you would “club the guy”. So let me get this straight, if I am in my house and you are out throwing a recycle bin at or above my car onto a major street, and which point I come out and say “Hey kids what the hell is going on here” ? You would proceed to club me if you smelled any alcohol on my breath! Let’s get to the truth here. You guys were out causing trouble and when someone came out and yelled at you, one of you proceeded to “club” the guy!!! Good work boys !!! To be honest I think you guys have gotten off easy. I wish the judge would throw the book at you and make an example out of all of you. This way when another teen like yourself is out causing trouble, he will think twice about it!! In my opinion, I believe that the teens “clubbed” the officer after the officer told the teens to stop throwing a recycle bin over parked cars and onto Medford street.
    Good job Juggernaunt B. Good job incriminating yourself !!!
    Now get the hell out of my city. Somerville does not need anyone who would “club someone” because they asked someone to stop doing something wrong !!!
    A very concerned resident who does not want any of these kids on my streets anymore !!

66. Sick of Ignorant People says:

John Smith,
    You have no life if your jus sitting around reading and correcting other peoples comments….why dont you leave it alone anyway(You really cant say anything since you werent there). Instead of trash talking about the kids(who might actually want to do something in life)you should try to get off your trash talking butt up and try to set a good example for them. Thats the problem today, people are too busy scolding, punishing, dwindling what little hope they have instead of trying to help. Kids really do have alot to deal with nowadays and adults who do nothing than see the worst in teens dont help at all. Teens cant trust adults anymore.
    P.S. And if you dont want any kids around go to a retirement home.

67. Jimmy D. is Sick says:

My apologies to Mrs. McCarthy for writing so poorly last time out of the gate. Truth be told I was at home enjoying a few [too many] cocktails when I logged in to see more of the nonsense that was posted about this story. As a result I wasn’t in top form when I started ranting.
    On to new business… Dear Sick of Ignorant People, after reading your tomfoolery I can only quote the Bible: “Physician heal thyself” Luke 4:23, for thou art truly an ignorant son of a … oops. I am not “too busy scolding, punishing, dwindling what little hope they have instead of trying to help.” You seem to say that beating the hell out of a cop provides some measure of “hope” for these little cherubs. I say the only measure they need is the boot size they get up the ass for their irreverent behavior.
    Knock off your BS and concentrate on your school work and staying out of trouble so that when Mr. Smith and I do go to the nursing home as you recommend, we won’t have our taxes going to pay for housing you and your scumbag friends in Walpole. Oh, you’re going there, baby. My only regret is poor Mrs. McCarthy won’t be around to see it, God Bless Her.
    Free Marcos!!!!!!!!!!

68. John S. says:

Dear Sick of Ignorant People !!!
    Read exactly what Jimmy D. said. I agree with him 100%. Jimmy D. I do not know who you are but I could not agree more with your response above !!! I really like the tax comment (especially when it is so close to April 15th Tax day).
    Dear Sick of Ignorant People, please listen to Jimmy D. and concentrate on your school work. You should probably read my post again before you accuse me of hating all teens. I never said I don’t want teens around !! Most teens like all other people are good, it is the 10% like these kids involved in this incident that ruin it for the others. Again (in my post) I said that I did not want these kids who cause trouble in my city! I never said anything about the normal kid who minds his own business and actually wants to be someone.
    Oh and about the Nursing home, you can not get rid of me yet. Actually I am not even 30 years old, and that means I will not be in the nursing home for at least another 40 years. Just an FYI – My posts above are not meant to trash talk ! They actually are meant as an example for all teens and kids who read here. This is why I am writing. Let’s start with lesson number one. DO NOT THROW A RECYCLE BIN ON A MAJOR STREET IN ANY CITY ON ANY FRIDAY NIGHT !!! Please keep in mind, to also not throw a recycle bin at or above someone’s car and on to a major street late on a Friday night !! Lesson number two: IF A POLICE OFFICER OR ANY ADULT YELLS AT YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING WRONG AND ILLEGAL JUST STOP DOING IT. No this does not mean “club” the guy. It means stop doing things that may harm other people and go on your merry way. You wanted a good example, and for all these teens out there you can start with that !!! If you want more examples read the post that I wrote to LOX, and see what can happen if you engage in Recycle bin throwing.
    P.S. I am just trying to set a good example.

69. Dont care says:

Look at all these yuppies posting comments..lol!

70. GOH TET says:

“Free Marcos!!!!!!!!!!”
    who writes that likes he is in jail or something….”Truth be told I was at home enjoying a few [too many] cocktails when I logged in to see more of the nonsense that was posted about this story.”(NO LIFE)
    P.S.MOON SAH YO MAHSISSY! ROCKS

71. Mrs. McCarthy says:

Don’t ask me Newman. I haven’t got a freakin clue what they’re sayin.
    Mrs. McCarthy

72. eye in the sky says:

The citizens of somerville wee all be issued one video camera per house. Use it whenever and where there is trouble.

73. victim says:

somerville cops are corrupt and could care less about the job or citizens