New meditation program offers free public sessions
Director of the Somerville Public Libraries, Maria Carpenter, announced today a new initiative to introduce wellness programs at the Somerville Public Library. Consistent with the city’s mission to create a healthy, active community, the new SPL initiative will begin with two “mindfulness and stress management” meditation sessions on Thursday, February 21 and Thursday, February 28 from 7:00 to 8:00 p.m. at 79 Highland Ave. Spots are limited to 25 people per session on a first come, first served basis, and will be taught by ordained Buddhist Minister, Sunada Takagi. A waiting list has been established for the first session, which is sold out, and interested residents should contact Maria Carpenter at 617-625-6600 ext. 2910 to be added to the waiting list. Additionally, free drop-in meditation sessions will be held on Thursdays throughout the month of March from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. All residents are welcome to attend, as space permits.
”What is so wonderful about public libraries is the opportunities they present to community members to come together and experience not only literature and reading, but a wide variety of cultural and educational experiences for people of all ages,” said Carpenter. “The best way to foster a great community is from the inside out, and this new program, fostering inner peace, will be a great way for us to help contribute to the community in a very positive way.”
Interested parties should bring mats, towels, or yoga blocks to sit on. Chairs will also be available in the room. For more information, contact Maria Carpenter at 617.623.5000 x2910 or via e-mail at: email@example.com
Additional upcoming programs at the Public Libraries include:
- Maple Syrup Project workshops for children and families by Groundwork Somerville. February 21 at 3:30pm, and March 2nd at 2:00pm.
- Ding-Dong, Quien es? Playing and Learning Latin Rhythms for children and families up to 9 years old. March 3 at 2:00pm, Central Library.
- Book Club. Children ages 9-12 are invited to discuss The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper, March 6 at 7:00pm, Central Library.
- Creative Writing workshop series for teens with, Ethan Gilsdorf. Begins March 23, 11:00-2:00 pm.
- 4-Part Memoir Writing Workshop with Judah Leblang. March 14, 21, 28, 6:30-8:45 pm and April 6 10:00-12:30 pm. Enrollment limited to 15.
For more information about these programs see http://www.somervillepubliclibrary.org/