A new resident in Winter Hill

On January 14, 2013, in Latest News, by The Somerville Times

owl 1

An Owl was spotted in a tree on Thurston Street in Somerville’s Winter Hill area yesterday.

– Photos by John Pratti

owl 2owl 3

15 Responses to “A new resident in Winter Hill”

1. david moro says:

Nice

Great pictures! Anyone offer any info on owls? (other than they were on the bags of Wise Potato chips and the one at the science museum was called “Spooky”) I did not think that you would see them in the daytime as they are knoc….noc…night time party animals.

3. This looks like the same one that visits Magoun Square every now and again. He likes the mac n’ cheese at Daddy Jones Bar ;)

4. Barry the Pig says:

Hmmm, it tasted really good! A real delicacy :)

Not bad huh? I ask for info on owls & Courtney tells you where (does she get a free MacnCheese for da plug…lol) and how to fatten them up so.o.o.o

Barry can BarbQ them and give a gourmet review…..lol

6. j. connelly,

The one that was photographed in Magoun was hanging out at night. I was always under the impression that they were nocturnal and usually hidden…not flying around, landing on light poles in Somerville business districts.

As far as the free mac n’ cheese is concerned, unlike some activists, I actually have the money to buy my meals.

7. Steve Keenan says:

I believe this is a Barred Owl. My mom lives in the Ten Hills area, and she called me last week all excited about an owl in a tree near the house. The description she gave me makes me believe this is the same owl.

Thank you for the info Steve….
    Courtney thanks for the correct spelling of nocturnal and what time is dinner, should I come in a Tux or Casual….lol

9. teelesquaremayor says:

“WHO” cares :)

“Who” cares…..I guess you dont like “Bugs” or “Daffy” either…. isnt it “hoo!”

11. Steve Keenan says:

Hey Courtney,

I want dinner too-my wife doesn’t do much cooking these days!

12. Absolutely, Steve! Ha!

Owl recipe from Louisiana Cookery, circa 1954.

“Pick, clean, and marinate in vinegar and oil overnight. Parboil, then dust with flour, and fricasse until done, adding water or marinade.”

Well my friend’s cuzin, who is from Louisiana, tells me, when you come ‘down here’ (LA) watch what you eat, cause….
    A] What one section of the country calls soda, another area calls tonic.
    B] What you may thinks is chicken, could be “roadkill”, especially if you are one of “Those Damn Yankees” (there still pissed cause we “won”)…lol