Somerville Police are investigating an indecent assault and battery that occurred early Thursday morning. At about 1:30 a.m., a 22-year- old woman was walking home, from the Porter Square area. As she turned onto Highland Avenue from Cherry Street, she was approached from behind by an unknown suspect who assaulted her indecently. The victim screamed and resisted, causing the attacker to flee.
The victim stated that the suspect, believed to be a male, was wearing all black clothing and a knit ski mask with no visible eye cutouts. The suspect fled on Highland Avenue toward Davis Square.
Somerville Police are advising women who may be walking alone to take several commonsense safety precautions:
• Try to walk on well-lighted routes whenever possible.
• Avoid wearing headphones or ear- buds, and refrain from listening to loud music so that you are aware of your surroundings at all times.
• Keep your cell phone accessible and avoid distracting phone calls.
• If you think that someone is following you, try to get to a lighted area with other people.
• Trust your instincts and avoid whatever feels to you like it could be a potentially dangerous situation or environment.
Police have increased patrols of marked and unmarked cruisers in the Porter Square and Davis Square neighborhoods. If you see anyone with a suspicious manner or appearance, or you feel that you may be in danger, please do not hesitate to call 911 immediately.
This incident has similarities to several other late night assaults on women in the past few months. Somerville Police are working together with Cambridge Police, Transit Police, Medford Police, Harvard University and Tufts University Police to identify and apprehend this suspect.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Somerville Police at 617 625-1212 or text 617SPD to Tip411.